1. SWOT Analysis Paper (10 points): Students will be provided a case study (the case is attached) to conduct a thorough SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis for an HCO. Papers will be a maximum of 5 pages long (double spaced, font-size 11 or 12, Times New Roman, margins 1’-1.5’) and include an executive summary. Ideal format would include 1 page executive summary (first page) and 1 page each for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. Students will begin by analyzing the HCO’s current mission, philosophy and culture and the HCO’s distinct characteristics, competencies and shortcomings (strengths and weaknesses). They will then assess the macro environment beyond the HCO that may affect the HCO. They will consider new technology, local population changes, unemployment levels, disease prevalence and incidence, socio-economic levels of the population, new laws, external compliance and accreditation requirements and other external factors that may affect the HCO. This environmental analysis will reveal opportunities to pursue and threats to protect against. Appropriate references and APA 6.0 style citation is necessary when citing papers and material. This is an individual assignment and each student will perform her/his own SWOT analysis. Students are required to submit their papers online by the date indicated before 11.59 pm EST. Late submissions will attract a 3-point deduction for each day beyond the stipulated deadline. Extensions need to be obtained at least 5 working days in advance.
Grading Rubric SWOT assignment: Your paper will be graded based on the following:
· All strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats identified and categorized appropriately with robust logic and fact based rationale (9-10 points)
· Most strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats identified and categorized appropriately with rationale that could have been more compelling using facts or information from the case(7-8 points)
· Some strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats identified and categorized appropriately with minimal rationale and use of information from case. (6-7 points)
· Major strengths, weaknesses, opportunities not identified and no rationale provided (< 6 points)
· Writing style, use of APA, adherence to guidelines, language, clarity, supporting (meets or exceeds – 5 points, minor writing and other issues – 3 points, systematic weaknesses in writing style, language etc. – 2 or fewer points
Points provided are for guidance purposes. Actual points may vary depending on quality of overall work.