Discussion: Social Determinants of Population Health In Your Community
Post your responses to the Discussion based on the course requirements. Your Discussion postings should be written in standard edited English and follow APA guidelines as closely as possible given the constraints of the online platform. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this module’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate. Refer to the Essential Guide to APA Style for Walden Students to ensure your in-text citations and reference list are correct. Initial postings must be 250–350 words (not including references).
Note: This is a Post First assignment. You are required to post your original post before the discussion board opens for your review.
The health care administrator is often seen as a pillar of the community. Therefore, it is essential that an administrator be knowledgeable about the infrastructure of the community he or she serves. According to the American College of Healthcare Executives’ (ACHE) Code of Ethics, the health care administrator has a responsibility to the community and society to:
- Work to identify and meet the health care needs of the community
- Work to support access to health care services for all people
- Encourage and participate in public dialogue on health care policy issues and advocate solutions that will improve health status and promote quality health care
- Apply short- and long-term assessments to management decisions affecting both community and society
- Provide prospective patients and others with adequate and accurate information, enabling them to make enlightened decisions regarding services (American College, 2014)
Based on ACHE’s Code of Ethics, health care administrators consider the impact of the social determinants of health on their communities as they plan initiatives, programs, and policies for their targeted population.
For this Discussion, consider your local community. Select one social determinant of health that you believe applies to your local community and discuss how it affects population health.
By Day 3
Postan analysis of the implications of this social determinant on population health outcomes. Then, describe how your selected social determinant of population health influences and shapes the present condition and the future course of your community.
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings. Consider how your colleagues’ postings relate to the information presented in the Learning Resources and to your own posting.
By Day 5
Respondto at least twoof your colleagues who selected a different social determinant than you. Provide a different implication and justify your response.
Continue engaging in the Discussion through Day 7.