Health and Health Promotion Theory Paper Assignment Directions
The purpose of this assignment is for you to examine definitions and theories of health and health promotion and find one that works for you and your practice of nursing.
The World Health Organization defines health in the Preamble to the Constitution of the World Health organization as “a state of complete physical, mental, and social well being, not merely absence of disease and infirmity” (World Health Organization. (2006). WHO definition of Health. Retrieved May 20, 2010, from http://www.searo.who.int/EN/Section898/Section1441.htm).
A definition for health promotion presented by O’Donnell (2009) is “Health promotion is the science and art of helping people change their lifestyle to move toward a state of optimal health. Optimal health is defined as a balance of physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual health. Lifestyle change can be facilitated through a combination of efforts to enhance awareness, change behavior and create environments that support good health practices” (Am. J. (2009, September-October). A national health promotion is within our grasp. American Journal of Health Promotion, 24(1). Retrieved May 20, 2010, from http://www.healthpromotionjournal.com/).
There are also other definitions and theories of both health and health promotion available in the literature. In writing this paper, research health behavior and health promotion theories and discuss how the concepts can be applied in your nursing practice. This paper should be five (5) content pages in length, not including the title and reference page.
• Review the literature on definitions and theories of health and health promotion.
• Begin your paper with a brief introduction to health and health promotion and discuss the definition of health and health promotion
• Identify two theories of health behavior useful in health promotion.
• Discuss how you could integrate health promotion theory into your nursing practice with two examples
• Discuss the barriers to patient adoption of health promotion activities and how you would evaluate the effectiveness of the health promotion theory you chose for your area of practice
• Include introductory and concluding statements for your paper
• Use subheadings for each section of your paper (Introduction, Health, etc.)