Select a contemporary issue in education. Below are several examples. If you have an issue you would like to choose that is not on this list or have questions about any on this list, please reach out to your instructor.
- School safety
- Bullying/cyber bullying
- Violence/School Shootings/Gangs
- Drugs in Schools
- Teacher Recruitment and Retention (Teacher Shortage) & Solutions i.e. –Alternate Route Certification Programs
- Teacher Competency/Continuing Education
- Working Conditions for Teachers/Support from Administration
- Leadership Within Schools (Preparing Administrators to lead in the current environment)
- Teacher Salaries & Benefits
- Budget and Finance
- Aging/Rundown facilities
- Underserved and rural areas
- Outdated technology
- Extracurricular Activities
- Athletics (safety, eligibility, drug testing)
Imagine that you are asked to create a lesson or training on your chosen topic. To prepare for the lesson, you first have to do some research on your topic.
You may also want to reference the following videos from Lynda.com as you work on your lesson.
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you:
- Identify and define your chosen topic and explain why this is a contemporary issue in your education environment using specific examples.
- Design a lesson that addresses your contemporary issue and how you can go about addressing it in your environment, focusing on the following elements:
- Learning objectives of the lesson.
- Measurement method(s) use to determine learning and lesson effectiveness.
- Description of lesson type (e.g., lecture, interactive, peer learning activity, etc.).
- Materials needed for the lesson.
- Costs and funding for the lesson.
- Use at least four (4) peer-reviewed academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as academic resources. Peer-reviewed academic resources refer to articles and scholarly journals that are reviewed by a panel of experts or peers in the field. Review the video titled Research Starter: Finding Peer-Reviewed References for more information on obtaining peer-reviewed academic resources through your Blackboard course shell.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Design a lesson addressing a contemporary issue in your learning community.