RESEARCH PAPER ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Discerning and clarifying your interests and knowing how to locate and evaluate scholarly sources of information are important skills for trauma counselors. This assignment will encourage you to think about trauma counseling topics and select and refine one that is of interest to you. You will also gain experience locating and selecting scholarly sources, an important skill for trauma counselors.
Write a research paper of 10–12 pages of body text (not counting your title page, abstract, and works cited pages) discussing, in current APA or Turabian standards, some major aspects of spirituality/Christianity and some aspect of trauma, as described below. Please don’t provide just a secular viewpoint or just a spiritual perspective. Integrate them using journal articles or book chapters on the topics as sources. Cite all sources. Balance the paper with both a biblical worldview and theoretical perspectives.
Choose one of the options.
- Discuss traumatic effects and responses and many of its related difficulties as well as recommended options, together with spirituality in general. Incorporate a biblical worldview throughout. Use current (8 years or less) research and the Bible to support your approach.
- Choose one or several types of traumatic events (natural disaster, domestic violence, sexual assault or abuse, motor vehicle accidents, etc.) and discuss appropriate assessment and treatment options. Use current research and the Bible to support your discussion.
The two options are similar with the exception that one is a general approach and the other applies your examination to a specific area.
• Length of paper: 10–12 pages – Points will be deducted if the paper is less than 10 pages or exceeds 12 pages. (Excluding title page, abstract, and references.)
• Include at least 10 current references (within the last 8 years) – points will be deducted for each missing current reference.
• Follow current APA or Turabian standards. Review rubric for guidance.
• Paper will be graded on thoroughness, content, and use of theoretical material and integration of .
• Plagiarism – Using or passing off someone else’s work as your own is a serious academic offense. Plagiarizing your paper will result minimally in failure of the assignment. Plagiarizing can also result in automatic failure of the course and academic discipline. Please make sure that all work is your own or is cited appropriately.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool.